For a long time the soaps I made were only mine so I didn't bother too much about how to wrap them. After the soaps cured they were cling wrapped and stored away until it was time to cover myself up in bubbles. Here is how I used to wrap my soaps.
Fast forward to December 2011. It was almost time for the first sale and I was reluctant to use cling wrap on all the soaps. First coz it was plastic and second it doesn't wrap the square shaped soaps so well. The fit is pretty perfect for a round soap where the label can be placed inside directly on the soap and then cling wrapped and knotted at the back but not so easy when it is a square or rectangle. I leaned very much towards something made of cloth, but then the bags were pretty expensive to buy or even get stitched. Handmade paper is also expensive, plus hard to wrap the soap in. Did I mention I don't have very artistic hands. Add to that my paper thin patience levels!
Then one day I went to a stationery store and there they had lovely tracing paper. Bingo!!
Thick enough to be used as a wrap, but easy enough to wrap the soap in. Plus it was an A4 size that could be printed on. I got the whole bundle and after many trials came up with this:
|A strip of A4 sheet and the label|
The soap tops are exposed for anyone to see the pattern if there is one and also to smell the soap. A small pattern is punched into the wrapper.
|The little pattern on the wrapper|
The labels are also printed on the same paper and are slipped in from the top.Since it is tracing paper, the text on the labels is visible.
|That chubby hand is mine :D|
Only problem is that the print somehow seems to be slipping off this paper and onto the fingers when touched. Must think of some way to stop that. Printing on plain white paper works well but the tracing paper looks prettier.
For now I am happy with this wrapper. Need to do something about the label though. You might have noticed the name 'Amoda' is used. Will tell you why and how we settled on the name in my next post.